National Concession Bus Pass


The National Concession Bus Pass allows eligible disabled and elderly residents of Cornwall to travel on local buses during off-peak times anywhere in England. 

Important update: Is your bus pass valid? We now use Hotlisting to check validity for National Concessionary Bus Passes across the south west. Find out more and if this change affects you.

When and where can I use my bus pass? 

You can use your bus pass to travel for free during off peak hours (9.30am until 11pm Monday-Friday and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays) on all local bus services in England (not Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or the Isle of Man). 

Outside of these times you will need to pay the standard fare for your journey.  However if you show your Concessionary bus pass on any First buses in Cornwall before 9.30am or after 11pm you will only pay a maximum of £2.00 for a single ticket.  For more information please visit the First group website.

You can also use your bus pass to buy a discounted ticket for the Truro Park and Ride.  The ticket will cost £1 per person if you are travelling after 9.30am Monday to Friday or all day Saturday.  (Standard fares apply before 9.30am Mon to Fri).

Who is eligible for a pass? 

Residents of Cornwall who belong to one of the categories below are eligible for a bus pass:

Category A. People who are blind or partially sighted

Category B. People who are profoundly or severely deaf

Category C. People who are without speech

Category D. People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on their ability to walk

Category E. People without arms, or who have long term loss of use of both arms

Category F. People who have a learning disability

Category G. People who would be refused a driving licence on medical grounds under Section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (except on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol).

Category H. People of eligible age (please note: this is no longer when you turn 60)

Further information on what evidence is required if you qualify can be found on our Eligible Categories and Criteria page.

How do I apply for a bus pass?

If you are of pensionable age or disabled you may apply for either an older person's bus pass (blue stripe) or a disabled pass (orange stripe).  Both cards entitle the holder to the same concession. 

over 60 bus pass

Older person's bus pass

disabled bus pass

Disabled person's bus pass

To apply please complete and sign the correct application form below and take it, with your evidence of eligibility/age and proof of address, to your local library

Applications can only be accepted at your local library between 10am until 12 noon and 2pm until 4pm during library opening hours, not between 12 noon and 2pm or on Saturdays.  Appointments for lunchtimes and Saturdays can be made in person at the library or by phoning 0300 1234 111.

Our staff will register your evidence, take your photograph and submit the application.

You can register for an older persons pass 28 days before your eligible date. We aim to resolve new applications within four weeks of receiving all of the relevant information. 

Data Protection Fair Processing Notice

The information you provide on your application form will be held by Cornwall Council and used for the purpose of processing your application. Cornwall Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

In accordance with Cornwall Council's Record Retention Policy, the information you provide will be retained for five years, after which period it will be destroyed in a secure manner. All personal information held by Cornwall Council is held safely in a secure environment.

What evidence do I need to provide?

When applying for a pass you will need to show one proof of your address and provide proof of your eligibility / age.

Proof of address

Please bring one of the following: 

  • Bank statement
  • NHS medical card
  • Benefit book / letter
  • Council tax bill
  • Photo driving licence
  • Optical / medical prescription counterfoil
  • Utility bill

Proof of eligibility

To prove that you are eligible for a bus pass please bring one item from the category that you are applying under.  Please visit out Eligible Categories page or download the Eligibility criteria for bus pass document to find out which category is relevant to you.  Please make sure that you have included the correct evidence with your application otherwise your evidence will be returned which will delay the process.

How do I renew my bus pass?

If you have a disabled bus pass you will need to submit a new application for a bus pass by using the form on this webpage and either sending it to us in the post, or by handing it in to your local library. Please remember to submit all required evidence to enable us to process your application.

If you have an older persons pass you will automatically receive a new pass in the post about 7-14 days before your old one expires.

You cannot renew your bus pass at libraries or one stop shops.  

Who should I notify if I move house?

If you are moving to another address in Cornwall, please send one proof of your new address to the address on this page. 

If you are moving out of Cornwall, please return your bus pass to us using the address on this page and tell us that you are moving.  You will be able to apply for a new bus pass in your new district/county.

Who should I notify if I have changed my name?

If you have changed your name and wish for a pass to be issued in your new name before your current pass expires, please call us to make a payment of £10 by debit or credit card.  You will also need to supply us proof of your new name e.g copy of deed poll certificate, copy of marriage certificate.  Documents can be scanned and mailed to  Alternatively please post photocopied documents to the address on the side of this page.

If you do not immediately require a replacement pass in your new name you will also need to supply us proof of your new name e.g copy of deed poll certificate, copy of marriage certificate. Documents can be scanned and mailed to  Alternatively please post photocopied documents to the address on the side of this page. A new pass will be issued when your current pass expires.

Lost, stolen or damaged bus passes

If you have lost or damaged your pass please call 0300 1234 222 to make a payment of £10 by debit or credit card. 

If you have moved since your card was issued please let us know when you telephone and forward one item of proof of your new address from the list above.

We aim to send replacement passes within 10 working days.  Please note replacement passes cannot be given out at your local library; they can only be applied for by telephone.

If your pass has been stolen please call 0300 1234 222 with your crime reference number and ask for Concessionary Fares.  Please note: Lost property numbers from the Police are not accepted (e.g. B23546).

What to do if the passholder has passed away or the card is no longer required

The pass can be returned in the post to Concessionary Fares, PO Box 676 Truro TR1 9EQ, or you can let us know by phone on 0300 1234 222 or email

Hotlisting - is your concessionary bus pass valid?

Ticket machines on local buses throughout Cornwall will show if a Concessionary Bus Pass is not valid for travel. This is known as hotlisting and will only affect a small number of pass holders. 

A pass will not be valid for three main reasons:

  • The pass has been reported as lost or stolen and has already been replaced
  • The council has written to the pass holder and the letter was returned suggesting that the pass holder may have moved
  • The council has written to the pass holder asking for up to date proof of eligibility or to return the pass

If the ticket machine shows that the pass is no longer valid the driver will tell the pass holder and the pass will be kept by the bus driver.  Where a pass is not valid and the driver is satisfied that the user is the person on the pass, the user will still be allowed to make that journey – although all future journeys will need to be paid for until either the correct pass is used or a new pass issued.

How to complain about the National Bus Concession

If you have a complaint about the National Bus Concession you can contact us using the details below:

Concessionary Fares
PO Box 676

Tel. 0300 1234 222


We aim to reply to you within 5 working days of receipt of your complaint.