Home Page Council News Room Site Map Ask a question Website - information and help Listening and Learning: Compliments, comments and complaints Access Keys

Welfare Reform information

Housing Benefit changes – this may affect you!

Discretionary Housing Payments

Continue reading

The DWP has produced a factsheet for claimants of Housing Benefit explaining what Discretionary Housing Payments are and how to claim.

Benefit Cap 

The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduce some changes to the benefit cap. These changes, which will take effect in autumn 2016, include changes to the benefit cap levels to £23,000 a year for couples with or without children and lone parents and £15,410 for single people without children in Greater London, and £20,000 and £13,400 respectively for those groups elsewhere in Great Britain. They also include additional exemptions for recipients of Guardian’s Allowance, Carer’s Allowance and Universal Credit claimants who receive payments towards carer’s costs.

For more information about the benefit cap changes please visit www.Gov.UK/benefit-cap.

Universal Credit

2015 saw the biggest shakeup of benefits ever to be rolled out across the country.

In Cornwall  this is only currently affecting single working age  people without dependents or illness who make a new claim for benefits. Instead of claiming Job seekers allowance they will make a claim for Universal credit.

 To find out if you will be affected please go to the ‘entitledto’ website for more information.

In time more and more working age claimants will move onto Universal Credit. There may be some changes you need to make to ensure you are ready.

Are you Universal Credit ready?

  • Can you make and manage a claim online?
  • Have you got a bank account?
  • Can you manage being paid all your benefits in one lump sum monthly in arrears? (This will include any housing benefit you receive that is normally paid direct to your landlord. You will be responsible for paying your rent yourself)

For more information and support, contact us on 0300 1234 161 and ask for an Inclusion Advisor or contact the Money Advice Service.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have published several videos and information for help and information on Universal Credit.

There are a number of other benefits changes currently being reviewed by the government including (CUT: a reduced benefit cap) changes to tax credits and proposed changes to housing benefit for 18-21 year olds. We will update our web site with these changes as they are confirmed.

Our Welfare Reform Agony Aunt page offers help to our tenants and customers with their welfare reform related issues.

Cornwall Housing Ltd

Chy Trevail,
Beacon Technology Park,
PL31 2FR

0300 1234 161

Text us

07941 712 712