Supporting local business growth and improving our business support offers
Over 7,500 businesses in Cornwall deal with food in some way. Our job is to support businesses to help them ensure they handle food safely and hygienically so that consumers don't come to harm.Continue reading
There is a comprehensive range of business regulatory support services available to help and advise businesses to be more successful and compliant.
Food Safety Officers within Cornwall Council carry out the following functions.
- Programmed food hygiene inspections of all registered food premises in accordance with the minimum frequencies determined by the Code of Practice.
- Revisits to check compliance following an inspection or the service of notices.
- Work in partnership with the Food Standards Agency to run the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
- Enforcement activity including written warnings, improvement notices, formal cautions, etc. All enforcement action is undertaken in accordance with Public Protection and Business Support's Enforcement Policy
- Investigations of complaints relating to the conditions of food premises and the fitness of food.
- The provision of information and advice to local businesses and the public.
- Response to food alerts issued under the legislation and in accordance with the Code of Practice.
- Response to and investigation of, where appropriate, all notifications or unconfirmed reports of food poisoning and food borne illness.
- Microbiological sampling of food in accordance with LACORS co-ordinated sampling surveys and local food sub-group initiatives.
- The disposal of unfit food using voluntary surrender or seizure procedures.
- The provision of training in partnership with local colleges on food safety matters.
- Risk based inspections of fish markets.
- During the inspection of food premises or investigation of complaints, officers will give due consideration to imported food issues including any appropriate documentation, identification and physical checks on imported foods, and where appropriate sample.
We have produced a number of guidance leaflets on various issues relating to food hygiene. These are available by contacting us on 0300 1234 212 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
What you can expect of regulatory services within the Public Protection and Business Support Service can be found by visiting the Regulators Code page.
Other organisations monitoring food safety
Following an act of parliament in 2000, the Government set up the Food Standards Agency. This is an independent watchdog intended to protect public health and consumer interests in relation to food. Their website contains lots of useful information and advice, including many free publications.
Food standards matters, such as labelling and composition are dealt with by the Trading Standards Department of Cornwall Council. We are able to pass on details of food standards complaints on your behalf.
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) promotes knowledge and understanding of environmental health issues. Their website contains information and advice on various food safety issues and training.