Children's services complaints

The Children, Families and Adults Directorate welcome comments, compliments and complaints. 

The Local Authority is responsible for certain school matters including Special Educational Needs, Admissions and School Transport. However, it is no longer within the remit of the Local Authority to investigate complaints about schools.  Parents should therefore contact the school direct.

Continue reading

You can contact the Complaints Manager as follows:

Complaints Manager

Children, Families and Adults Complaints
Cornwall Council
County Hall

Telephone: 01872 323164


If any child or young person would like the support of an independent advocate to help during the complaints procedure please let the Complaints Manager know.

The Complaints Procedure cannot be used to challenge the opinion of a professional and we are not permitted to look into matters that are current:

  • Court proceedings
  • Tribunals
  • Disciplinary proceedings
  • Criminal proceedings

In some circumstances a complaint investigation can be deferred until these proceedings have concluded.  It is not possible to challenge a decision made by these proceedings through the Complaints Procedure. This is a matter for you to discuss with your legal representative.

Get It Sorted Complaint leaflet - please note if you print this leaflet yourself you will need to apply some glue/sellotape to seal the edges.  If you need the leaflet in another format please contact us.

Complainants may contact the Local Government Ombudsman at any stage of their complaint.  However, the Ombudsman will usually recommend the complaint is initially pursued via the Local Authority’s Complaints Procedure

The Local Government Ombudsman has a fast-track procedure for dealing with complaints made by or on behalf of children and young people up to the age of 19 (or 25 if they have a disability).

Contact details:

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Phone: 0300 061 0614

Complainants who wish to make an electronic complaint can visit the LGO website and use their online form