Electoral Registration

The electoral register, also known as the electoral roll, is a list of everyone who is entitled to vote.

You must be on the register to be able to vote at an election.

Continue reading

More information on the electoral register.

Once you are registered there are a number of ways you can vote

Register to vote

(Please note: After you have applied to register, we will need to check and process your application before it can be approved.)

In summer 2014, the way in which people register to vote changed to Individual Electoral Registration.

The transition from the old electoral registration system to Individual Electoral Registration (IER) ended with the publication of the revised register on 1 December 2015. Electors needed to have renewed their registration under the new IER process by that date.

Any electors that were not either confirmed or who had not made successful individual applications to register to vote by 1 December 2015 were removed from the register on that date.

Due to essential maintenance this form may experience itermittent issues between 7-8pm Wed 19 Jul. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Remove details from the open register

Everyone who registers to vote can choose to have their details excluded from the open register, which can be purchased by anyone.

More details on the open and edited register.

If you feel adding your name to the electoral register would have serious safety implications for you and other members of your household, you can apply for anonymous registration. There is a set procedure for these applications. Please read more on anonymous registration or contact us on on 0300 123 1115.

If you are a member of the British Armed Forces, you can now choose whether to register as a service voter or as a civilian (ordinary elector).

More voting information for service personnel.

You may register as an overseas elector if you are:

  • A British citizen living outside the United Kingdom and you satisfy certain conditions
  • You are working outside the UK as a Crown Servant or as an employee of the British Council
  • Are married to or are the civil partner of a Crown Servant or British Council employee and you are accompanying them during their employment abroad

More information on voting for people living or working overseas.

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. This may be because you are:

  • a patient in a mental health hospital
  • a homeless person 
  • a person remanded in custody

To register, you need to fill in a form known as a Declaration of local connection or ITR for person with no fixed address.

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over the age of 18 can register to vote at all types of election in the United Kingdom.

Seventeen-year olds and some sixteen-year olds are entitled to be included on the register as ‘attainers’, meaning they can vote when they reach the minimum voting age of 18. 

European Union citizens can register to vote at local government and European Parliamentary elections only.

British overseas electors can vote in British and European Parliamentary elections only.

Please check the list of eligible nationalities to see if you are entitled to register.

(On 1 July 2013, Croatia joined the European Union. As a result, Croatian citizens are now eligible to register to vote as an EU citizen.)

Further information about registering to vote can be found at www.yourvotematters.co.uk.