Data Protection Act 1998

This Act requires the Council to respect principles of fair processing when handling your personal information.  The Act also guarantees individuals certain rights in relation to the processing of their data, including the right of access to personal records processed by the Council.

Information about your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 can be found on the Information Commissioner's Office website. 

Continue reading

For more information on the Council's handling of personal information, please refer to the Council's Data Protection Policy Statement.

The Council has a duty under the Data Protection Act to provide individuals with access to information about themselves on request.

In general, personal information will only be given to the person who is the subject of the data, and then only when their identification has been verified.

Requests for information about a person other than yourself will usually be rejected except for the following circumstances:

  • someone with parental responsibility may request information about a child under 13, but there is no automatic right to the data 
  • a solicitor may request information on behalf of a client with their client's written consent
  • requests from other individuals acting with the explicit written consent of the data subject or a registered Lasting Power of Attorney.
  • copies of information you are allowed to see
  • a description of the information disclosed to you
  • a description of how and why your information is being processed, who has access to it and / or an explanation of any codes used in the documents you have received

1)  Firstly you will need to complete the correct form:

Access to Records and Correspondence regarding yourself or someone you represent

Please complete the Subject Access Request Form

Access to CCTV Footage showing yourself or someone you represent 

Please use the CCTV Data Subject Access Request form to request CCTV footage from town centre cameras or those on the highway (eg, on some signalled junctions, rising bollards). Please note that CCTV footage is only retained for up to 28 days. Further information is available on our Town Centre CCTV page, which includes a list of the towns where Cornwall Council monitors CCTV cameras.

Please note that CCTV camera systems in towns in Cornwall are owned by the town councils and only some of these systems are monitored by Cornwall Council.  If the town you are enquiring about is not listed on the Town Centre CCTV page then unfortunately we will not be able to assist with your enquiry as we will not have access to the information you are requesting.  In this event we would suggest that you contact the relevant town council direct; please see our Town and Parish Councils webpage for their contact details.

Data Collected via ANPR Cameras of your vehicle  

Please use an Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Data Subject Access Request Form to request data/photos collected from our Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras.  Please note you will need to provide documentary evidence that you are the legal owner of the vehicle.  Further information is available on our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) page.

2)  Send your form, together with the relevant proof of identity/vehicle ownership information as requested on the form, and your payment if applicable, to the Data Protection Team following the instructions on the form.

3)  We will check the documentation and validity of your request and contact you if any further information or evidence is needed.  We will return any original documents promptly by a Signed For delivery service.  We will then commence your request and send you your disclosure within 40 days. In the case of a large volume of information you may be asked to attend an office to view the documents.

4)  If you are dissatisfied with the information provided to you or how we handled your request, you can request  us to review this within 3 months of the date your disclosure/footage was issued to you.  We then have 20 days in which to carry out the review.

5) If you are unhappy with our handling of your request or the outcome of any review, you can request an assessment of your case by the Information Commissioner's Office.