Council tax - bands and band reductions



Find the Band of a Property

The Valuation Office Agency values properties for the purpose of council tax. The amount of council tax you have to pay depends on the band of your property.

The Valuation Office Agency, part of Her Majesty’s Revenues and Customs, has put every home into one of eight valuation bands. The valuation is based on an estimate of what your home would have been worth on 1 April 1991.

BandProperty valuation (1 April 1991)
Band A Up to and including £40,000
Band B £40,001 - £52,000
Band C £52,001 - £68,000
Band D £68,001 - £88,000
Band E £88,001 - £120,000
Band F £120,001 - £160,000
Band G £160,001 - £320,000
Band H More than £320,000


Council tax bands and charges

To find the council tax bands and how much council tax charges are, please view the council tax banding rates and charges 2017 for properties in Cornwall.

You can also use the Valuation Office Website's Property Search to find the valuation band for a property.

Appeals against the Banding of your Property

The valuation band of a property is determined by the Valuation Office (an agency of the Inland Revenue). If you wish to appeal against the banding you should contact the local Valuation Office (see contact details at the bottom of this page).

The grounds for appeal regarding the banding of your property are restricted to the following cases:

  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or decrease in the dwellings value.
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes.
  • Where the Valuation Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer

Where you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time. (Your appeal must be made within six months of the date you occupy your new property but, if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again);

If you cannot agree with the Listing Officer on the proposed change to the Valuation List you have a further right of appeal to the Cornwall Valuation Tribunal. The Council or the Listing Officer of the Valuation Office Agency can supply further details concerning the tribunal.

Material Increase/Decrease in value

A material increase may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale – so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the dwelling suitable for the use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

Contact details

The Valuation Office
Council Tax West
Valuation Office Agency
Overline House
Blechynden Terrace
SO15 1GW

Telephone: 03000 501501
Fax: 03000 502799

The Valuation Tribunal
2nd Floor 
120 Leman Street
E1 8EU

Telephone: 0300 123 2035
Fax: 020 7481 4891