Dog breeding licence

The Council has statutory duties placed on it by legislation, to license certain activities and services that involve the keeping, selling, boarding, displaying or hiring out of animals these are:

  • The keeping of an animal boarding establishment.
  • The keeping of any animal controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.
  • Keeping a dog breeding establishment.
  • Carrying on from a premise the business of selling pet animals.
  • The hiring out of horses for payment.
  •  Exhibiting to the public wild animals for more than seven consecutive days in any twelve-month period.
Continue reading

This ensures that legal standards are met for animal safety and welfare and, in some cases, for the safety of the public.

If you have any questions regarding the forms or require assistance in completing them, then please contact the Council’s licensing department.

During the transition period from district councils to Cornwall Council all licence renewals will be processed in accordance with the former district council conditions already in place.

All new applications will require the applicants to comply with the current models standards for the type of activity intended to be carried on.

Please note that planning permission may be required to carry on the above activities.

Licences are required for the breeding of dogs

Any person(s) keeping a breeding establishment for dogs.  A person is keeping a breeding establishment for dogs if at any premises they carry on a business of breeding dogs for sale.  In addition a breeder whose bitch or bitches give birth to five or more litters in any twelve-month period is presumed to be carrying on a dog breeding business.  An expanded explanatory note is available from the area licensing office.

Application forms can be obtained from the Council's area licensing offices.  You will need to complete an application form and return it together with the fee to the area licensing office.

Please view the current licensing fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay.

Upon application for the grant of licence, the Council will authorise an authorised officer or veterinary surgeon to inspect the premises.  If an acceptable report is received from the authorised officer or veterinary surgeon, then you will be notified of the conditions that are proposed and that will be attached to the licence before it is issued.

Upon application for renewal of licence, the Council will send an authorised officer of the Council to inspect the premises.  If the inspecting officer's report is satisfactory, then you will be notified of the conditions that are proposed to be attached to the licence before it is renewed.

On certain occasions a vet may recommend that a licence is not issued, if after consideration the Council agree and decide that a licence should not be issued, the applicant has a right of appeal to the Magistrates Court against that decision.

Please contact your local area licensing office if you require further information.

The Cornwall Council is committed to giving an equal service to all.  This means that customers should not be treated any differently because of their gender, race, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.

Things can go wrong, and we can make mistakes.  If you are not happy with the service you have received, or the way you have been treated, we want to know.  This helps us to improve the service we provide.

It is best to try to settle the complaint directly with the staff responsible and at the time you are unhappy with the service let us know by:

  • Telling a member of staff
  • Completing a comments, compliments and complaints form
  • Writing, telephoning or e-mailing